Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Sat Apr 21 02:47:37 UTC 2001

> Ummm... you misunderstood; what I was suggesting was: "making Squeak
> more
> beginner-friendly is more about packaging existing pieces, rather than
> programming a lot of new functionality, because the pieces themselves
> already exist and do not need to be written from scratch (unlike, say,
> if you had to do the same for Java)".

I thought so, too.  Then I started working my kids through Squeak.  They
got it at once, and in ways I never expected.  It was a hoot to watch.

Anyhow, nobody is suggesting that changes are bad -- indeed, far to the
contrary.  But packaging is not the fundamental priority or what Squeak
is all about.  It is, of course, another thing the community can (and
should) be working on.  By all means, please join us and do the nasty!

For my part, I join those who feel that far more time needs to be spent
on documentation efforts, ideally with an eye towards highly
maintainable documentation.