[ENH] Better Debugging (third round)

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Fri Aug 3 21:50:02 UTC 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 01:13:11PM +0200, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
> Ross Boylan wrote:
> >
> > This might be a bug, an artifact of my filing in cs 3 before 1 and 2,
> > or some other peculiarity of my image.  But here's the report.
> >
> (Picture Hans-Martin putting foot into mouth...)
>
> Sorry, stupid me, I filed stuff out without testing whether it would successfully file in. Don't know exactly what happened this time. Attached you'll find a quick fix for the Debugger opening method. Somehow the checks for nil context have found their way out of this code. I've reinserted them now, and everything works fine.
>
> So, after filing in those 3 debugger changesets, file in the attached method definition which fixes the bug you reported.
> Note that filing in 3 before 2 does not hurt, but 1 should be filed in first because otherwise it will overwrite part of the stuff in 2 & 3.
>
> Cheers, and thanks Ross for reporting this blatant bug!
> Hans-Martin

I filed in the latest changes, and I think it cured the problem.  I no
longer get thrown into the emergency evaluator and the error I do get
is not obviously debugger related.

The bad news is that I still can't update to a newer version of
StarAnts; it looks as if I'm getting about the same error I originally
reported in SqueakDebug.log.  In particular, it is complaining that
#StarLogoTrees is not in the SystemDictionary.  An obvious possibility
is that things may be in a bad state because of the previous failures,
and that all is well code-wise.