non-programmer intro (topic drift)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Sat Aug 4 21:29:35 UTC 2001

At 1:14 PM -0700 8/4/01, Ken Kahn wrote:
>Regarding Squeak, is work going on so that a child with no prior training
>could walk up to an installation and figure how things work?

Hi Ken --

Yes, that is one of our five or so most important projects right now
(and we really like the way you used ToonTalk to start to do this).

I wouldn't feel too bad about:
>>the remaining problem is that most of these children understand
>>the language primitives and how they combine but have no idea how to design
>>and build a program. They lack the design skills and programming techniques
>to build what they want to build.

Part of the problem is that many young children have difficulty
planning (and this is normal developmentally). Our experience is that
they can be brought along if they have fun at each "plateau" of
learning, and there is plenty for them to do at each plateau.

Cheers,

Alan