Computers in school

Rev Aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Aug 7 17:49:10 UTC 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:45:17 -0400 guzdial at cc.gatech.edu (Mark Guzdial) wrote:

>By "boredom" I mean a bunch of things that make a class
>un-interesting.  Assignments that have no real purpose or don't lead
>to real artifacts can lead to "boredom."  Being forced to use
>strategies that don't work for you can lead to "boredom."

That's the impression my SO has of the majority of college classes she's
taken in the last two years. Especially in the lower level, intro classes,
where they try to cram tons of somewhat-useless information into your
head, and grade you on how well you can regurgitate it.  That's how
the first two years of college seem to go, you get judged on how well you
can tell the prof what s/he told you, but no real synthesis.  And that can
be done with a good book or two, making the entire multi-thousand year
of college education a giant waste of money.

I don't tend to get bored as many do, I just simply see the intro classes
as an evil I must get over with before I can take the more interesting
courses.  Or, as in Biology, I've enjoyed even Bio I.

I believe that does apply to K-12 schooling as well, especially in grades
7 and up.

Aaron