Computers in school [college a waste?]

Aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed Aug 8 01:23:13 UTC 2001

On Tuesday, August 7, 2001, at 04:57 PM, Rosemary Michelle Simpson wrote:

> Completely agree!  The quality of the teacher is critical to the kind of
> experiences I had and that you had in Biology.  I was taking issue with
> your general statement about "how the first two years of college seem to
> go" and college education being a giant waste of money.

Ok, my apologies, this is getting pretty unrelated to Squeak...

Don't get me wrong- I think college is overrated, and is unnecessary for
many, and thus a complete waste of money for a lot of people. However,
that's the reality with the current job market

In my first two years of college, only that Biology I class would I say
was worth the money.  Everything else thus far I've gained very little
other than what could be gleaned from the text book and other print
resources.

While that may have something to do with the school I go to, which isn't
a really great public or private college.  Maybe I'm just know more
than most people at this school and at this stage of their education.
But for whatever reason, I don't spend much time out of class doing
homework (at least there's not terribly much busywork) or really
learning anything beyond what's in the required readings.

No, I don't like to admit that.  I pay for all of my education, so
admitting that it is at least a partial waste of money kind of hurts,
but it's true.  I also expect and hope for that to change, in my next
few years.

I find this most true of a CS education.  Recently, most CS majors are
there because it means a job, and it's overkill for people who are
concerned with nothing in life other than making $80k/year.

It sounds arrogant and short-sighted, and it probably is...

Regards,
Aaron