Computers in school - OT

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Aug 8 16:33:26 UTC 2001

As I said in my note in reply to Alan, there are at least two
possibilities to explain the large failure rate in CS:
- We're doing a really lousy job teaching and need to fix it
- Many people can't learn to program, but then the question is why?

The empirical studies on failure in CS are not based simply on asking
"the abandoners."  There were two studies presented at last year's
ACM SIGCSE that particularly stuck in my mind:
- One was a study of female students who graduated with CS degrees.
They were asked what they were surprised about in CS.  A common theme
was that the women were surprised to learn that CS had a creative
component -- that wasn't their image of it a priori.  They didn't
find that creative component, however, until well past CS1.
- Another study focused on the pedagogical factors related to failure
in CS1.  They used a large survey with all students at midterm time,
then correlated the responses with course completion.  The most
highly correlated factor was a sense of being able to ask for help.
Students who failed at CS1 reported not being comfortable asking for
help.  This result dovetails with Amy Bruckman's results that
students learned to program in MOOSE Crossing when there was a social
support network.

Of course boredom isn't the only explanation.  But it is one worth
exploring, as are the social supports.

Mark

>The *hypothesis* that boredom causes certain demographic groups to
>abandon CS disprortionately to their relative numbers in the
>population must be scrutinied. Just accepting this as true based on
>the testimony of the abandoners it not science as it introduces the
>hypothesis that the groups who stick with CS have a higher mean
>tolerence for boredom.
>
>As a harsh litmus test, a without anyone getting over excited, watch
>the international athletic championships in Edmonton tonight and
>explain the disproportionate participation of certain groups of
>mankind in certain events and then try to explain this away. PS.
>Does my my testimony, as a poor athlete, count if I say sprinting is
>boring.
>
>How you you separate boring as a cause, and boring as a consequent
>of poor abilility ?
>
>Saying we do not know why disproportionate representations occur is
>ok. It is not inherently a Bad Thing either.
>
>Brent

>        Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com
>
>Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual
>sender,  except  where  the sender specifically states them to be
>the views of Reuters Ltd.

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu