Computers in school [college a waste?]

Rev. Aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed Aug 8 15:24:29 UTC 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Rosemary Michelle Simpson wrote:

> > Don't get me wrong- I think college is overrated, and is unnecessary for
> > many, and thus a complete waste of money for a lot of people. However,
> > that's the reality with the current job market
>
> For me the job market issue is irrelevant wrt the value of college.  I
> have always opposed the idea of college as a job training institution.
> The role of college is much more to open new ways of thinking,
> strategies for dealing with conflicting information, and skill for
> exploring new domains.

I agree.  I wish that's what college really was now a days, but it has
become very much so a job training institution.  Especially with CS-
where, here at least, you learn the languages that the business world
finds valuable.  Why? Because if a student knew Scheme and not C, they
wouldn't be very marketable!  And in the college pamphlets, those job
placement stats are becoming more and more important.  Things like "90% of
<your school here> graduates had found a full-time job within 6 months of
gradution!"

> > In my first two years of college, only that Biology I class would I say
> > was worth the money.  Everything else thus far I've gained very little
> > other than what could be gleaned from the text book and other print
> > resources.
> >
> > While that may have something to do with the school I go to, which isn't
> > a really great public or private college.  Maybe I'm just know more
> > than most people at this school and at this stage of their education.
> > But for whatever reason, I don't spend much time out of class doing
> > homework (at least there's not terribly much busywork) or really
> > learning anything beyond what's in the required readings.
>
> Why not?  Why don't you use the resources of the Internet to expand upon
> the required readings and to explore things you are interested in with
> other communities you can find online.  Like this one.

I do! :)  I learn a great deal outside of my paid-for college studies,
including a great deal on-line and through books.  Afterall, I didn't
learn Squeak in a CS course.  But the fact remains, I'm getting more
abstract and general knowledge through the outside world, rather than in
these expensive college courses.

> > No, I don't like to admit that.  I pay for all of my education, so
> > admitting that it is at least a partial waste of money kind of hurts,
> > but it's true.  I also expect and hope for that to change, in my next
> > few years.
> >
> > I find this most true of a CS education.  Recently, most CS majors are
> > there because it means a job, and it's overkill for people who are
> > concerned with nothing in life other than making $80k/year.
>
> Tragically, that's much too true.  It doesn't have to be for you, however.
> CS is one of the richest areas to explore on the Web and there are many
> many lists, sub-communities such as this one, that explore specific areas
> quite deeply.  The fact that your peers have limited views of what life is
> about doesn't have to limit you.

Indeed! If not for the non-college world, I wouldn't have discovered
Squeak, and wouldn't be using it for the ecological research that I am
now, as part of a project through school.  But it would sure be nice to
get something as a result of all of the hard-earned money (ok, ok, I don't
do labor intensive work) money I pour into it, and the fat loans I'll be
taking out with me when I graduate.

Regards,
Aaron