Help! Unemployed

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Aug 8 19:03:13 UTC 2001

Timothy Reaves wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Aug 2001 08:36:58 -0700
> Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 07 August 2001 02:37 pm, you wrote:
> > > I have recently been laid off after 2 years of work. While my work
> > > dealt mostly with Java, J2EE and C, I would love a chance to make a
> > > living at SmallTalk programming.
> >
> > Step 1: Learn to spell Smalltalk correctly.
> >

>         SmallTalk IS spelled as one word, and with the tee capitalized!  This was done in the vein of class naming; run the word together capitalizing the first letter of each word.

Uh oh, let the flames begin. ;-)

No, Smalltalk is supposed to be spelled with the T un-capitalized.  Maybe you like to spell it with a capital T, in the vein of InterCaps-style naming (which is probably why it's often misspelled this way), but it ain't right. ;-)  The name Smalltalk is based on the single English word "smalltalk", not two words "small" and "talk"... if it were based on two words, then yes, you would capitalize the T.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com