Fw: Re: Help! Unemployed

Jan Theodore Galkowski DisneyLogic at go.com
Wed Aug 8 18:21:30 UTC 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: "Ned Konz"<ned at bike-nomad.com>
To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Date: Wed Aug 08 10:41:25 PDT 2001
Subject: Re: Help! Unemployed (looking for Smalltalk jobs)

>On Wednesday 08 August 2001 09:50 am, you wrote:

[snip]

>That's probably the case in many places. I don't know anything about the "IT"
>world (DP? databases'n'web? don't know what they call themselves nowadays).

My recommendation is to simply search a good source
of programming jobs, like flipdog.com, for the entire
U.S. on the keyword "Smalltalk".  "Squeak" sometimes
returns hits, too.  Go to

   http://www.flipdog.com/

and try it out.  There are also job postings made
periodically to the comp.lang.smalltalk newsgroup.

[snip]

>Daniel sounds like he's got experience in IT. With luck and some connections

I also recommend checking out the stuff at UIUC's
Smalltalk sites, including Professor Ralph Johnson's
Smalltalk page

  http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/johnson/smalltalk/

and his page about his Smalltalk friends

   http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/johnson/smalltalk/smalltalk-friends.html

John McIntosh has a site

    http://www.whysmalltalk.com/findajob.htm

as does Monty Kamath

    http://goodstart.com/jobs.shtml

and don't shortchange his leader page

    http://goodstart.com/

either, as it has several other related and
interesting links.

The Smalltalk Industry Council has a job-finding
page accessible from their main

   http://www.stic.org/

Peter William Lount also has a site

   http://www.smalltalk.org/

which advertises Smalltalk consultants, specifically,

   http://www.smalltalk.org/consultants.html

You can also search

   http://www.scguild.com/

to find Smalltalk consultants you might ask.

[snip]

>Daniel, I didn't mean to mislead you. If you have or can get connections to
>technical people in places that use Smalltalk (network with other
>professionals!), and can show them your enthusiasm and competence, you'll be
>a long ways ahead.

[snip]

If you want any other ideas, why not contact some of
the folks that are Smalltalk consultants and ask.
I know these sources because I'm an active watcher
of the IT consulting scene and know several consultants.
I don't have any experience landing Smalltalk
contracts, however, but I am well versed in IT and
database work, and have had those kinds of contracts.

I don't think this kind of thing sits well within
the Squeak list mission and would recommend a
newsgroup like comp.lang.smalltalk for discussion
or a Wiki like swiki.net or those at UIUC or
Squeak's itself.  I only replied because two or
three others did and I thought I might help.

 --jtg

Jan Theodore Galkowski, http://algebraist.com/
 DisneyLogic at go.com,   jtgalkowski at alum.mit.edu