Help! Unemployed

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 9 02:42:23 UTC 2001

Hi Fil ;-)

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 06:22:35PM -0500, Phil Weichert wrote:
> I think Daniel Joyce submitted a sincere request for help and suggestions on
> finding employment.  Ned Konz made a tactless, thoughtless, and tasteless
> comment: "Step 1: Learn to spell Smalltalk correctly."

I would have described Ned's comment as "humorous" and "dead on the money"
rather than your 3 "t"s.  If I was hiring, and someone had a resume that
tried to portray them as an experienced SmallTalk programmer, I would get
a bad first impression.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who would feel this
way.  Thus, Ned's advice is sound.

Also, anyone who has followed Ned's posts on the list over the past several
years will have noticed that he is extremely helpful and earnest.  Within this
context, it is difficult to conceive of taking offence at his remark.  I hope
that Daniel has taken none, and realizes that Ned was simply trying to:
	a) have a bit of harmless fun, and
	b) help

> The "t's" have been
> further amplified by the following discussion on the correct spelling of
> Smalltalk. This is a major waste of bandwidth and subscribers time. A lot of
> people must really have a lot of time to waste.
>   How to spell sMALLtALK does not contribute anything to Daniel request for
> suggestions on finding employment.

As I mentioned above, it does.  Spell it wrong, and you harm your prospects of
finding a job.

Regards,
JawShoeWah