Origin of the name Smalltalk?

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Thu Aug 9 08:18:23 UTC 2001

Actually both -- and right at the same time (the second one may have
been a nanosecond earlier). In those days lots of systems were named
after various gods but hardly did anything. My impulse was to have a
modest name so that anything good about the system would be a
pleasant surprise.

Cheers,

Alan

--------