do I have to garbageCollect every time I create a large object?

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Thu Aug 9 20:04:52 UTC 2001

> Of course, another approach is to avoid allocating huge
> monolithic objects. If you look at your needs it's going to
> be pretty rare that you actually need one.
>
> tim

Right...the specific need I have is for implementing a cache
mechanism...even if that cache needed to hold 1 million objects, it
would only rarely need to be allocated (when adjusting the size of the
cache for instance)...I could even pre-allocate the whole
thing...wasting a lot of space, but preventing the need of ever having
to adjust its size in the middle of a running application.

- Stephen