Toward a Package Architecture for Squeak

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Aug 10 00:52:37 UTC 2001

--
Folks -

Here's a brief message to get the ball rolling.

We have at least three starting points, and probably more:

	The work I did on Environments

	Les Tyrell's work on Oasis

	Joseph Pelrine's recent work on an Envy-like kernel for
		the StableSqueak work (or any other Squeak).

It would be good to have someone write up each of these efforts (and any others that are relevant) in a message,  with emphasis on

	what are their good properties

	what exists to start with, and how much remains to be done

	who might be available to help

As I said in the earlier message, I'm hoping we can strike a reasonable compromise whereby...

	most code looks no more complicated,

	the kernel as delivered is well factored,

	people who just want to hack will not be burdened,

	those who wish to produce well-behaved packages will have
	    simple but adequate tools at their disposal.

A lot has been said in earlier discussions about modularity.  it would probably be useful if someone were to summarize the main points, or at least give some pointers into the archives.

Waiting to hear from others

	- Dan