StableSqueak (was RE: Windows maker)

Paul McDonough wnchips at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 21:34:27 UTC 2001

StSq is a moniker applied to a number of loosely
connected projects; thus, I can only speak of one of
the streams of development.  The thingie currently
known as "ModSqueak" is taking a breather, but will be
back soon.  The two primary developers of ModSqueak
have been pulled aside by other projects for the past
month or two, and thus (essentially) unable to Squeak.

In its most recent build, ModSqueak had gotten a
working set of scoped browsers to browse/modify Squeak
based upon a declarative/modular/call-it-what-you-will
view of Smalltalk (the clearest explanation of what
the heck I mean by that is unlikely to come from me,
but I'll gladly refer you to Allen Wirfs-Brock's
papers on the topic, which (iirc) can be accessed via
smalltalksystems.com).  For the most part, those
browsers were working, and in fact I was able to edit
code which was *not* compiled into the image, as well
as the normal case.  Versioning and loading from a
repository also works, although only in extremely
rudimentary fashion, and with many different ways to
mess it up.

All in all, it was nearly test-pilot ready, but not
nearly what I'd call an "alpha".  ModSqueak holds
itself together based upon the integrity/consistency
of the modules, and one little bug in the wrong place
can have alarming ripple effects.  Thus it really does
need to achieve a higher level of robustness than most
early-release Squeak, as there's very little more
annoying than thinking your IDE is tracking/saving
your work when in fact it's doing nothing of the kind
(speaking from experience, particularly annoying
experience to be exact!).

Bottom line:  ModSqueak is not dead, it's just
resting.  I expect serious(ish) work to resume some
time in September.  Meanwhile, feel free to drop me a
line if there're questions.  [No, unfortunately, I
don't have access to the code at the moment.]

Paul