[OT]Re: Sphere

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 01:57:15 UTC 2001

"Andrew C. Greenberg" wrote:

> On Saturday, August 11, 2001, at 10:12 AM, John Hinsley wrote:
>
> > My own guess is that Apple will, sooner or later, have to drop Mac OS in
> > favour of OSX. That is, if it remains in the software business at all.
>
> [snip]
>
> > OSX looks to be BSD with the Mach microkernel and a pretty front end. As
> > such, it wouldn't seem to offer anything that isn't already out there in
> > some shape or form for free.
>
> Ah, yes, the proverbial "Apple is about to go under, or out, or
> something" troll, combined now with the "BSD is dying" troll.  All
> evidence to the contrary.

I don't think Apple will go under, only that they'll morph into
something else. I've said this.
I don't think BSD will die. Why should it? There are no commercial
pressures on BSD and it has some splendid people. All power to it!

> > You could argue that the combination is
> > exquisite and that a microkernel is a must have, but to me it seems like
> > an idea 5 years too late (and, what, 10 years after Jobs originally
> > started pushing it?).
>
> Let me take a wild guess: you haven't installed it or worked with it
> yet, have you?  Suggest you hold off on the dissing with generalities
> until you have something meaningful to inform the debate.  Certainly,
> you don't need to try it -- just don't pretend you have based upon the
> stereotypes suggested here.

I've actually *said* I've never played with it. I can't afford it. I
don't know anyone who can (or who chooses to install it/use it if they
can).

> I've been playing with MacOS and Unices for decades now (only a year or
> so short of a few decades since I got my first seed Mac), and i can tell
> you that it presents overall a desktop and environment better than I
> have ever experienced on a Unix box.  For me, at least, the combo is
> extraordinary -- and has now become my desktop of choice.

I've no argument with that :-). But then, I never did!

Cheers

John