Help! Unemployed

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Mon Aug 13 18:37:31 UTC 2001

> Anyone who spells it "FORTRAN" these days almost certainly
> hasn't bothered keeping up with the modern standards.

One could just as easily suggest that anyone who spells it Fortran hasn't
bothered keeping up with accepted use of the English language.  Yes, there
are exceptions, such as kHz, MW, mW, and other terms used in measurement.
But in general, acronyms are capitalized.  On the other hand, the IEEE (that
well-known bastion of proper English ;-)), has said that lowercasing
acronyms of five (5) characters or longer makes them more readable
(http://www.computer.org/author/style/acronyms.htm).  Personally, I don't
find Eprom nearly as recognizable as EPROM.  Nor do I consider the IEEE to
be authoritative on matters of the English language.

ALGOL is an acronym.  BASIC is an acronym.  FORTRAN is an acronym.  LISP is
an acronym.  PL/1 is an initialism.  APL is an initialism.  BAL is an
initialism.  SQL is an initialism.

Ada is not an acronym.  Java is not an acronym.  Pascal is not an acronym.
Smalltalk is not an acronym.

	--- Noel

Programming Jeopardy
Languages for $100: FORTRAN.