Stability of Squeak

robin robin at sublime.org
Tue Aug 14 11:31:33 UTC 2001

Hi,

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this.  I haven't experienced any crashes
since that report and I'm being a lot more careful about 'saving my game'
before I risk the play I've done during a session.

Basically, the feedback has really answered my question.  I've used systems
before which after a short while seemed totally reliable to me, but which a
new user would be able to crash within minutes.  I really just wanted to get
an idea of other people's 'feel' for the thing.

In my commercial work, I'm used to the idea that even code which has been
thoroughly tested, with a seemingly comprehensive set of test cases by the
developers (exaustive/exhausting testing), will often fall apart under
seemingly obvious condition when real users first use it.  With squeak, it
seems that the idea is that everyone is developer - the only people who are
'just users' are newbies.

I'm also aware that without enough information to reproduce a bug, in 99% of
cases there's little that can be done - from a scientific perspective it
might even be said not to exist.  In future, I'll make sure to include it.

-Robin