SUnits documentation Re: Is this list a chat or a list REALLY ?

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Wed Aug 15 11:26:21 UTC 2001

On Wednesday, August 15, 2001, at 01:17 AM, Karl Ramberg wrote:

> I tried to test the SUnits a while back and did not understand
> anything. I'd love a good writeup on how to use SUnits and how to write
> test suite for your own code.

Basically, to start putting together a test suite for, say, class Foo,

	1. subclass TestCase, say, TestFoo.

	2. create methods in TestFoo, typically small bytesize tests, name
each method test***, for exampe: testInitWithBlank testInitWithArray
testBorderChecking, and so forth.  Each method will make use of either
the assert:, should:, shouldn't: and some of the more sophisticated
methods -- read the code in TestCase for examples.  Read the beck paper
and learn how to build scaffolds and the like to use these tools in a
subtler, more sophisticated fashion, but for now, set up some test
cases.  Beck has a useful article at:

		http://www.xprogramming.com/testfram.htm

	3. open a GUI, TestModel openAsMorph will do.  Click run (It will
run all tests in the system).   If you want a more refined or narrow
group of tests, adjust the filter to, say:

		TestFoo.test*

Those are the basics.  Take a look at the example in the TestSuit itself.