hanoi in chaos?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 14 04:58:17 UTC 2001

John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> wrote:
> Anyone know where Lex's hanoi has gone?

Chaos lives on, but the name is dead.  :(  I'll try and get that stuff
posted onto the Coweb, where it should be, but it will be a while!

> I'd like to link to it as a demonstration of a (you know what I mean)
> exeified Smalltalk program, but either chaos has fallen over or the link
> is up the spout.
>
> I've only got the rpm version and (as always happens) need to be able to
> show it to Mac and Windows folk.

The Windows version is simply two files combined into hanoi.zip:

	squeak.image  (same as with Linux)
	hanoi.exe	(squeak.exe, renamed)

It would have been nice to put together a better Windows distribution
system, but I certainly never worked on it and nobody sent me any
patches.

The Mac version was some sort of binhex or whatever file containing
squeak.image and "hanoi", the Mac VM renamed to hanoi.

By the way, I like to call these things "distributions" of a program.  I
haven't sorted out exactly where the confusion comes from, but an aweful
lot of people really seem to conflate "distribution" and "one executable
file".

Also by the way, the "julexp" distribution is newer than the hanoi one,
and actually does something useful (it lets you browse julie sets,
selecting the JS's parameter graphically).  Unfortunately, it, too, is
on chaos right now....

-Lex