[ENH][EXPERIMENTAL] Read only globals (was RE: Stability of Squeak)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Thu Aug 16 02:43:08 UTC 2001

"Andreas Raab" <Andreas.Raab at gmx.de> wrote:
	But it must also be acknowledged that it's trivial to fix this
	problem if you know your compiler

Which is to say that the people who would most benefit from it can't do
it themselves, while the people who can easily do it don't need it.

I'm glad HE knows the compiler this well!

	;) If you file in the attached CS nothing short of
	#instVarAt:put:  will allow you to modify any of the globals in
	Smalltalk.  It doesn't capture any newly created globals but
	that's left as an exercise to the reader :-)

What I was suggesting was a partition of the globals into ones that can
be changed and ones that cannot.  If I'm reading this changeset correctly,
which was hard because your MUA and mine somehow conspired to mangle it,
it looks as though that should be possible.

Of course, the rather pleasant paradox is that this changeset demonstrates
why it can be a GOOD thing to let people change the system...