Perceived Crash (was: Stability of Sqeuak)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Thu Aug 16 02:56:12 UTC 2001

"robin" <robin at sublime.org> wrote:
	The platform is Windows 2000, fully service packed and patched.
	System RAM is 192M.  CPU is a K6-2 500.

	1. Take a fresh Squeak 3.0 stable. ( the VM Reports itself as: 3.1 VM =
	(alpha build 3) from Mar 15 2001).
	2. Create a new morphic project, and open it.
	3. Open a workspace.
	4. Enter the following and doIt:

	a _ TextMorph new.
	a openInWorld.
	b _ Set new.
	b add: a.

	5. Then enter the following and printIt:
	b storeString

I tried this on a PowerMac G3, MacOS 8.6, 64 MB, Squeak 3.0 of 4 Feb 2001,
latest update 3552.

	At this point, I perceive the 'squeak system' to crash.

I don't perceive anything resembling a crash.
Squeak doesn't produce an answer, and doesn't respond to mouse clicks in
its window, nor does Cmd-. help.  The mouse tracks, and the Apple menu bar
at the top of the screen is usable, so it is possible to use File|Quit.

storeOn: and storeString: do no cycle checking, and Morphic tends to have
more than a few cycles, so it is not surprising that Squeak wanted to spend
forever on this task, nor that memory grew.  What _is_ surprising is that I
couldn't seem to get out of it with Cmd-dot.

There *are* programming languages in which you can't write non-terminating
computations, but except for hard real-time programming, or programming
wristwatches, you probably wouldn't want to use them.  I cannot regard a
system that gets caught in a user-commanded infinite loop as having crashed.