[Modules] Components or Modules??

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen_Wirfs-Brock at Instantiations.com
Fri Aug 17 01:13:18 UTC 2001

At 08:58 PM 8/16/2001 -0400, Bijan Parsia wrote:

>I wish to speak for the all encompassing, monolithic image. It's been
>pretty good to me, and good to Smalltalk (and similar systems).
>
>Yes yes yes, shrinking is a pain. Etc. etc. etc. I'm with everyone.
>
>But there's something *golden* about having a 4 file install (vm, image,
>sources, and changes). Wrestingly with VisualWorks packages and paths
>tends to make me grumpy. Python is way worse. SWI-Prolog (the other system
>I've been dorking with) is somewhat better, if just because it's less
>elaborate (at least, my install is).
>Cheers,
>Bijan Parsia.

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about physical deployment structure.  I
also like single file deployment.  There nothing as convenient as a
self-contained exe.

What I was saying, it the in some situations, tightly bound modular source
code structuring is the right solution. In other situations, loosely bound
highly encapsulated components (think objects without inheritance) work
better.  In either case, where the situation warrants it, you should be
able to create a self contained deployable application.

Allen