[Modules] Scenario: Bewildering Batches of Files, was Re: [Modules] Components or Modules??

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 17 01:19:46 UTC 2001

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> [snipped interesting discussion of a reasonable distinction]
>
> I wish to speak for the all encompassing, monolithic image. It's been
> pretty good to me, and good to Smalltalk (and similar systems).
>
> Yes yes yes, shrinking is a pain. Etc. etc. etc. I'm with everyone.
>
> But there's something *golden* about having a 4 file install (vm, image,
> sources, and changes). Wrestingly with VisualWorks packages and paths
> tends to make me grumpy. Python is way worse. SWI-Prolog (the other
> system I've been dorking with) is somewhat better, if just because it's
> less elaborate (at least, my install is).
>
> Anything that sends me scurrying to the filesystem makes me want to
> HOLLER! (And not in joy :))

This would be one of the Scenarios that I mentioned wanting to write
about, so since you've brought it up...

Scenario: Bewildering Batches Files

( see above plaintive cry - I don't have to write this part ).

THEREFORE Be it resolved that we do NOT wish to force the user to wade
through a bewildering sea of files.

( the temptation to talk about solutions is overwhelming, but for me the
purpose of the Scenario is to highlight something, illustrating clearly
what properties we do or do not wish for our system to have - solutions
must be brought up elsewhere.  The scenario can then be used to judge
the merits of various approaches, and hopefully to act as guides in the
development process when the technical issues start getting tough, which
I can assure you they will ).