[Modules] Components or Modules??

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 17 04:54:54 UTC 2001

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> I wish to speak for the all encompassing, monolithic image. It's been
> pretty good to me, and good to Smalltalk (and similar systems).
>
> Yes yes yes, shrinking is a pain. Etc. etc. etc. I'm with everyone.

In many respect I agree. HOwever, a good packaging/module/froobler
system should allow the best of both worlds - chunks of stuff (love
those technical terms baby!) outside in some nice safe repositoy cared
for by the likes of Cees or bound into your very own single file
jealously guarded by the mighty security of WinMe. The chief difference
from the current situation ought to be that shrinking does not involve
illicit firking around but simply letting go of unneeded attachments on
a positively zenlike manner. A modular system would provide for lighter
linkages between parts.

tim