Squeak book on shelf!

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Aug 17 00:18:28 UTC 2001

--On Thursday, August 16, 2001 9:12 PM +0200 Frantisek Fuka
<fuxoft at terminal.cz> wrote:

> I'm beginner in Squeak. Can I order this book without reading the first
> one?

Yes. There's even a chapter "Squeak for non-native speakers". There's also
an intro to morphic. Indeed, all the chapters in the first section are
fairly well targeted to newbies (well, mine, "Networking Squeak" bounces up
and down...i.e., there are intro bits and advanced bits).

What's lacking in the book is any discussion of OOP or OOD (design) *per
se*...as it should lack. If you want some of that, then the textbook is the
way to go.

> Or should I order both?

Can't hurt :) But I don't think there's a "prerequisite" relationship twixt
the two, they each stand alone, but they work well together, too.

The textbook goes more in depth on some topics (and doesn't touch at all on
many in the anth) and tends more to step by step walkthroughs and the like.

Get both. Enjoy both.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.