[Modules] Components or Modules??

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Aug 17 05:18:17 UTC 2001

Allen Wirfs-Brock <Allen_Wirfs-Brock at Instantiations.com>  wrote...

>So here's my strawman position: Squeaks needs both a module architecture and a component architecture. They should be designed to be complementary to each other. The module system should stick to development time issues.  The component system should stick to runtime issues. Globally, some people should be thinking about how to slice the image into components and modules.

I agree about this.  The thinking in SqC has generally been moving toward projects as the unit for Components.  I don't know if this will cover everything, but it's quite compelling when you browse Squeak content over the web in project-sized chunks.

The very next thing we aim to do is to place a name scope in Project (in fact, you'll see an instVar named 'environment' already there).  Two immediate goals are a) guarantee that two projects cannot interfere with one another if loaded at the same time, and b) that if you unload a project, there is no memory in the system that it had been there.

	- Dan