[Modules] Components or Modules??

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 17 16:36:07 UTC 2001

Göran Hultgren wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> --- Allen Wirfs-Brock <Allen_Wirfs-Brock at Instantiations.com> wrote:
> [MEGASNIP of very good stuff]
>
>>other.  (Here is my first crack assignment based upon limited
>>visibility.  Component systems: Environments, OASIS, (I don't really know
>>enough about either but this is my impression) , Pope's selector ideas.
>>Module systems: Pelrine's work, change sets). My impression is that people
> Yes, the discussion has definitely mixed these two different areas and I think that we should
> perhaps focus on the sourcemanagement side of it first. But if I am not totally off I would have
> guessed that OASIS should be placed among the module systems - it's about source code analysis,
> type inference, interface detection etc. etc., or did I get the wrong impression when I looked at
> it?

Definitely, what I have done so far in Oasis is would fall in Allen's module
camp.  And yes, those things you mention are what I have been doing quite a lot
of... 5 years ago I thought that they would be Really Important things that
would have to be solved in dealing with large, non-modular systems...  5 years
later, the shininess has worn off that notion a bit, but I am still plinking
away at it from time to time.  Discussions like these help a lot in getting me
all riled up again to go attack some of those problems.

> [SNIP]
>
>> So here's my strawman position: Squeaks needs both a module architecture
>> and a component architecture. They should be designed to be complementary
>> to each other. The module system should stick to development time
>> issues.  The component system should stick to runtime issues. Globally,
>> some people should be thinking about how to slice the image into components
>> and modules.
>

> Amen.

I will ( once again ) second that!

- les