XML - speech synthesis

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Sat Aug 18 02:08:37 UTC 2001

Yeah, this was a bizarre idea I had too a few months back - use Squeak's
speech synthesis and FaceMorphs to "perform" a Shakespeare play.

One issue is that the XML document for an entire play is pretty large, so
you'd really have to interpret it as you stream it.  The XML changeset I
submitted quite a while back can handle this, as well as some of the others,
by overriding the callbacks to execute something as the tags close.  It
would be pretty simple.

I'm curious about the XML you plan on using - are there stage directions
included in a form one could use to animate characters?

This would be amazingly cool.  If you have pointers to the content, I'd be
willing to help.

-- Duane