[modules] What should be the first step?

Marcio Marchini mqm at magma.ca
Sun Aug 19 01:27:51 UTC 2001

> 1. A minimal kernel
> This would be something like the 240k "tiny" image I made from
> Squeak a few years ago (had compiler, files, minimal graphics
> (only enough to put up a transcript), collections, strings and
> numbers).  I would like to go farther with this by using the OS
> for the transcript, so that all this thing can really do is read
> in the next package.

	If you have a mini web server (headless) running in Squeak, I'd say the
Smalltalk compiler and the Transcript support aren't really needed. You're
not compiling new code, and you can log messages to stdout or a file. So,
I'd say they do not belong to a minimal kernel.

	As I said before, I like the list from PocketSmalltalk:
http://www.pocketsmalltalk.com/whitepaper.html#builtins

	The next level up would be the above with compiler support, so that you
could maybe use this as a TTY scripting language. Still no GUI, just stdout.

	Then on top of that GUI, etc.

	Just my 2 cents...

marcio