[modules] eXtreme moduling

Markus G ä lli gaelli at emergent.de
Sun Aug 19 21:04:37 UTC 2001

How about "extreme moduling"?

Proposal:

The test-coverage of a module should be 100%.
A module only can have this coverage, if the module and all of its required
modules also provide tests, which cover them a 100%.

Would that be feasible anyhow? Of course this would demand a lot of work for
the base system, but imagine how easy it would be to refactor it afterwards.
If we still find bugs, that slipped through our tests, we write a new test.
Possibly real evolutionary programming could be done then...

Maybe we have a linkage here between modules and components. With examples
we can bring some life to modules and can test the resulting components.

Then we could minimize our efforts to create running configurations. We
could even precompute all the possible combinations of modules on some
server.

Robert Hirschfeld ported the method-wrappers from John Brant a while ago, so
it should be simple to port the coverage-browser from Brant also, which uses
the method-wrappers.
I'll be in Essen next week, maybe we can port it there.

Best regards,

Markus