Killer Squeak App?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Mon Aug 20 08:19:37 UTC 2001

At 16:00 19.08.01 -0400, Kevin Fisher wrote:
>There is a project that aims to create a free Ultima Online/Everquest-like
>server called World Forge (www.worldforge.org).

I just browsed though the provided documentation.  The screen shots look
great and it's interesting that there ATLAS protocol is a classless
SELF-like object system but I couldn't find enough details to guess the
current project state and/or the features.

IMHO, the real work isn't setting up a client/server protocol but to come
up with a flexible world object model, interesting, easy to learn rules
which still allow great flexibility and finally with a rich game world that
doesn't become boring after a few hours.

MUD - to answer the other email - is a Multi User Dungeon (often also
Dimension).  Something like a text adventure combined with a chat program
which can be played by multiple players simultaneous.  One unique feature
of MUDs is that players can help to create, extend and flesh out the world
buy using a simple (unfortunately often C-like) in-game language.

>They have a number of clients written in a variety of languages...

Well, it looks like "variety" means C or C++ :-)

>I think the "goal" is to have a server that can have it's world rendered
>isometric (UO style) or 3D (Everquest-style).

...or even textual like in nethack.

>It might be an interesting project to create a client in Squeak...

But it look like to get at least some documentation, one has to read the
source and extract the information.  That's IMHO a large barrier to start...

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust // Find the moon is our mission!