[Modules] Introducing MobVM

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Mon Aug 20 07:58:28 UTC 2001

Hi PhiHo

you wrote:

[snip]
>OTOH,  I also like the idea of 1 file install Squeak. This is truly
>1 file, not a zip, tar or self extract archive of any sort. It is
>truly one Windows executable, Squeak.exe, the 'MobVM'.

What do you mean by 'Mob'? The general semantic association with 'mob'
is misleading or if intended not fair in this context.

I like the idea of having a one file installation process as well.

Anyhow the installation process for a user at the moment basically
means just to copy a subdirectory on Windows and Mac with 4 files in
it (sometimes with minor glitches).

>I have a couple of questions to the list (especially the creator of
>the [Modules] tag) :

>    1/- Is it appropriate to discuss about the 'MobVM' now or
> should I wait.

Dan Ingalls created this 'super-topic' on August 15th. So he
should decide on this. From my part I would suggest
to wait until a first release of [Modules] is underway.

>  2/- Is it approriate to do so within the [Modules] tag or should it
> be elsewhere ?

The issue you bring up is based upon but different to the modules issue.
It is about the delivery/deployment process. [Deployment] could be a
good tag for this.

See
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1962

Cheers