[Modules] Introducing MobVM (was Components or Modules??)

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Mon Aug 20 19:44:13 UTC 2001

"PhiHo Hoang" <phiho.hoang at home.com> wrote...

>   OTOH,  I also like the idea of 1 file install Squeak. This is truly 1
>file, not a zip, tar or self extract archive of any sort. It is truly one
>Windows executable, Squeak.exe, the 'MobVM'.
>
>    I have a couple of questions to the list (especially the creator of the
>[Modules] tag) :
>
>    1/- Is it appropriate to discuss about the 'MobVM' now or should I wait.

Why wait?

>    2/- Is it approriate to do so within the [Modules] tag or should it be
>elsewhere ?

I think it should be elsewhere.  An appropriate tag would probably be [Squeak Installer].

We had some interesting discussion about this almost two years ago, and I think a fair amount of it wound up on the Squeak swiki as a "SqC project".  Little was done thereafter, except that the ability to compress and decompress multiple files has been added to squeak since then.

>From the client's point of view, it's pretty simple already to get Squeak as a self extracting archive.  I do this on a Mac, and it comes as just one file, is well compressed for the download, and expands into a convenient folder.

Most of the motivation for a Squeak installer was to make life easier for the folks who put out a release.  If the clients already have a squeak VM, then the release could be packaged as a single file, that would be the *same for every platform*.  This means that maintaining any given version amounts to only a set of VMs for each platform (which we require now), and one other file that is a Squeak-compressed and managed combination image and compressed changes etc.

Hope this helps

	- Dan