[Modules] Images vs. module safety

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen_Wirfs-Brock at Instantiations.com
Mon Aug 20 22:12:40 UTC 2001

At 01:56 PM 8/17/2001 -0700, Paul McDonough wrote:
>The only real flaw we've noticed in this approach so
>far is the requirement it imposes on each tool to
>signal the appropriate events; in the case of the
>standard Squeak release, this required minor "touches"
>on about 20 methods, viz., those methods which are
>invoked when code's saved.  This is relatively
>painless, and in any case invisible to the intrepid
>Squeaker, BUT it will give nasty surprises when
>tools/browsers/etc. which have not been "touched"
>enter into the system.

My recollection (Juanita is probably the authority in this area) is that
the way we handled this in Team/V was by hijacking the existing base
methods used for adding classes, methods, and such and making them delegate
to a pluggable manager object.  If Team/V was installed, the manager
converted the operations into the equivalent Team/V api requests.  Without
Team/V or in a deployment the manager just turned around and did the usual
old stuff.

Allen