XML - speech synthesis

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Tue Aug 21 01:38:01 UTC 2001

"Duane Maxwell" <dmaxwell at san.rr.com> wrote:
	One issue is that the XML document for an entire play is pretty large, so

I have just checked the freely available plays-in-XML, and they are all
below 280 kB, hamlet.xml being the largest.  On my 150MHz Ultra I, the
C-code XML parsers I tried parsed hamlet.xml in under a second.
I'm not sure that I'm interpreting SCM's space report correctly, but
I *think* the internal form takes about 371 kB.  (It might be 274 kB.)

It's not clear to me that <400kB for the internal form of an entire play
counts as "pretty large" these days.  My general estimate for the space
overheads of a DOM-like model is a factor of 2.5, so a DOM-like internal
form for Bosak's XMLification of Hamlet could be 1MB.  Still not large
enough on today's machines to use any but the simplest loading strategy.