[Squeak Installer] Introducing MobVM

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at home.com
Tue Aug 21 02:40:53 UTC 2001

"Dan Ingalls" <Dan at SqueakLand.org> wrote:

> >    1/- Is it appropriate to discuss about the 'MobVM' now or should I
wait.

> Why wait?

    Because I think there are lot of things in the VM depends on the way the
whole Squeak is architect-'ed' and not sure if it is advantageous to have
discussion on the VM in sync with discussion of the architecture of Squeak.

> >    2/- Is it approriate to do so within the [Modules] tag or should it
be
> >elsewhere ?
>
> I think it should be elsewhere.  An appropriate tag would probably be
[Squeak Installer].

    That's it !!! It's the 'Squeak Installer'. Thanks for the suggestion,
Dan.

    The micro kernel (with the help of a few bootstrap plugins) dynamically
installs other plugins on demand just enough to support a preconfigured
image built from a set of modules. All in memory.

     One thing that bothers me though. People used to think of Squeak.exe
(for Windows) as the Squeak VM. Now it's promoted to Squeak Installer and
then the Squeak VM now becomes invisible (dynamically assembled).

    Another thought, maybe, the micro kernel will retain the identity as a
VM. The Squeak Installer will be actually a truly micro kernel image
requiring just the micro kernel, PlugManPlugin (Plugin Manager),
ModManPlugin (Module Manager), PlatformPlugin (platform dependent utility
routines), ZipPlugin and a bootstrap interpreter with just enough of
bytecodes and named primitives to support the Squeak Installer to install
the rest (including an approriate interpreter for the target image).

    Maybe, the PlatformPlugin is not necessary at all. If the SqueakFFIPrims
is used instead, then all platform functionalities should be available from
within the Squeak Installer image.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.