Killer Squeak App?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Tue Aug 21 06:46:15 UTC 2001

At 14:00 20.08.2001 -0400, Stephen Pair wrote:
> > However, did you see my effort, porting the original SELF system to
> > VisualWorks?
> >   --> http://www.3plus4.de/self/
>
>No, that's the first I've seen of it.  It's interesting that you took
>the approach of trying to load the Self snapshot file.  I hadn't thought
>of that.

Well, originally I only wanted to test whether my parser works but then I
wondered, how many primitives do I need to bootstrap the thing.  After a
few hours of work I noticed, a lot of.  Most of them are crude hacks but I
eventually managed to read in most non-UI files.

>   I think the first step would be to get a Self compiler working
>in Squeak.

That would be easy.  I've a working scanner/parser/compiler.

>   Also, how do you like the Self syntax overall?

In the last squeak, I changed my mind an nowadays, Self has not enough
syntax for my taste. You really have to get used to all that (| .. |)
object declarations ( ) method declarations, implicit self sends and the
fact that even local variables doesn't exist. I really the clean concept,
but using "name := 'sma'" instead of "name: 'sma'" or even "objects[1] :=
objects[2]" instead of "objects at: 1 Put: objects at: 2" would be more
readable IMHO.

>Another thing that I thought would be interesting is running Python in
>Squeak (interesting to see how well it could perform that is).

Well, look at http://www.3plus4.de/squeak (bottom of the page) for my start
for the parser.  A abandoned that project because Ruby is so much cooler
than Python.

bye

--
Stefan Matthias Aust  // Truth Until Paradox