Squeak how-tos

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 16:37:28 UTC 2001

Gary McGovern wrote:

> Well, yes and no. I wasn't just thinking of Alan, I was thinking of anyone
> who could produce something. John Hinsley for example,

Certainly _not_ very talented!

> instead of him
> spending a lot of time writing a tutorial for Rolodex, I think it would be
> good if most of his tutorial was automated. And any other person for that
> matter. That includes myself, I'd like to be able to write a program, as an
> example a simple GUI calculator, then be able to produce an automated
> tutorial. And there's lots of talented and knowledgeable people in this
> group who probably don't have time to sit and write a tutorial, but if it
> was automated then it wouldn't be such a time consuming project. But of
> course it would be nice to see some expert work, though that isn't the main
> idea.

I'm inclined to think that automated stuff would work (as a teaching
tool, that is) for some things (and some audiences) and not for others.
Actually finding out what works is really down to getting feedback. My
own guess (nothing more) is that they might be more usefull as short
refreshers. Say, I'm trying to remember how use the browser to input
some code and there's a little automated tutorial to show me.

But maybe you should do one as a trial?

Cheers

John

--
Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft: