Squeak how-tos

Gary McGovern garywork at lineone.net
Tue Aug 21 19:48:08 UTC 2001

From: "John Hinsley" <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk>

> Gary McGovern wrote:
> >
> > Well, yes and no. I wasn't just thinking of Alan, I was thinking of
anyone
> > who could produce something. John Hinsley for example,
>
> Certainly _not_ very talented!

Hello John,
Don't sell yourself short. I used your tutorial and learned from it. Just a
shame you haven't done a full library of them yet. :o)

> > instead of him
> > spending a lot of time writing a tutorial for Rolodex, I think it would
be
> > good if most of his tutorial was automated. And any other person for
that
> > matter. That includes myself, I'd like to be able to write a program, as
an
> > example a simple GUI calculator, then be able to produce an automated
> > tutorial. And there's lots of talented and knowledgeable people in this
> > group who probably don't have time to sit and write a tutorial, but if
it
> > was automated then it wouldn't be such a time consuming project. But of
> > course it would be nice to see some expert work, though that isn't the
main
> > idea.
>
> I'm inclined to think that automated stuff would work (as a teaching
> tool, that is) for some things (and some audiences) and not for others.

Yes, of course it wouldn't be the be-all.

> Actually finding out what works is really down to getting feedback. My
> own guess (nothing more) is that they might be more usefull as short
> refreshers. Say, I'm trying to remember how use the browser to input
> some code and there's a little automated tutorial to show me.

I'm a learner and I'd like to see something like that. Teacher's should
serve their learners and not be their masters.

> But maybe you should do one as a trial?

Yes, I'll put it on my to do list and will maybe have it ready in a few
years time.
:o)

Regards,
Gary