[Cross-space references] NewtonOS and Sessions

Withers, Robert rwithers at quallaby.com
Wed Aug 22 02:31:22 UTC 2001

Thanks for the link.  Soups and Stores with Domain Managers, I see.

> > I think your concept of Viewpoints is like my UserSpace, no?
>
> Actually, your UserSpace would be what I call a "Session",
> though there
> is an overlap between the two ideas. Hmmm... I don't seem to
> have a web
> description of that anywhere.
>
> But it is very simple - just think of sessions as separate VMs that
> have some shared memory but mostly communicate using messages. A
> special "boot session" has direct access to the hardware (or OS) and
> each logged in person has a separate "user session".

This is exactly what I would like to see within one Squeak image.
Communication should be normal sends, and the context of the reference
should transform that send appropriately.

> >  It is also the context of an OasisModule, I believe.
>
> Very likely.
>
> > Cross space references would be an interesting problem, that I have
> > been toying with for the past year or so  (see AddressSpaces in the
> > outdated, and limited Chatter).  I'm getting ready to ask
> Allen about
> > this in Firewall..:)
>
> I started working on my design in 1984. It isn't simple to get it
> simple. Lately I have made progress by throwing things out, including
> cross space references (if you don't count proxies).

So you used to have a cross-space reference that wasn't a proxy pattern?  Or
rather it was implemented differently than the standard "subclass from
ProtoObject" style proxy?  If so, how did you work it?  I have a proxy that
works, and with the Delegation model, from Stephen, we can preserve
identity; however, I want it to be completely transparent, if possible.  It
would require VM support, I believe.  I am clearly violating the 80/20 rule,
but I feel that it would open many, many doors.  It is a pluggable proxy,
with the ability to transform the message send. It should be completely
weightless, aside from the oop header and 2 slots, target and
messageManager.  Perhaps we have a registry of managers, that we lookup
using a referenceHandle, to cut an oop from the stack.  If we could use a
bit in the Oop header, we may be able keep it to 2 words.  Thus I am out to
learn the vm, and stop talkin' about it so much.  :)

- Rob