Copying past messages [was Re: LindaTalk]

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Thu Aug 23 16:50:33 UTC 2001

Folks -

[First let me say, I'm enjoying the LindaTalk discussion a lot and, as I have said before, I think its' one of the most valuable experiments to have in Squeak.  We are right in the middle of considering whether EToys and possibly Morphic itself might be cleaner with such a model for scheduling].

That said, I'd like to suggest that we refrain from copying large portions of the entire discussion history with each new message.  This leads to an N-squared explosion of mail traffic which, for folks using phone lines, could be a reason to have to drop off the list.

I'm sure there are guidelines elsewhere for this, but I would think it's only useful to copy those specific portions being responded to and, if it's a lot, then just summarize it in a sentence, and give the date/time of the message.  We all have mail readers that can sort by subject.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

	- Dan