[ENH] 'debug it' menu item added to text editor menu

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Aug 23 19:12:30 UTC 2001

This changesets adds a 'debug it' menu item to the text editor pop-up menu, after 'do it', 'print it' and 'inspect it'.  Doing a 'debug it' brings up a debugger on the selected code, with the first message in the code highlighted and ready to be stepped through.

This is based on an earlier version posted by Vassili Bykov, which I improved a bit, and Vassili improved further.  It should now handle various contexts properly, as far as we can tell. :)

I personally think it would be a good addition to the base image... it's a handy utility for anyone who wants to quickly step through some code, but it's prominent placement with doit/printit/inspectit is also good for encouraging beginners to play with stepping through code, which is one of the best ways to learn Smalltalk.  'debug it' was recently added to VisualWorks Smalltalk (5i.3) as well, but I thought it was a good idea even before I knew about that. :)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com