[veriSign?]

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 23 20:38:50 UTC 2001

Henrik,

> I argued before that for the given benefit, there is a
> disproportionate amount of work in maintaining and
> supporting multiple different versions (1 per platform)
> of something as fragile as full Squeak running as a plugin in
> another application (actually several different ones with the
> same API).

Actually, the above is not true. On Windows and Unix (and hopefully soon on
MacOS/X) there's no difference between the plugin and the "standalone" VM.
The plugin is only a wrapper around the "helper app" that allows us to
display the contents right in the browser. Check it out - the "Squeak
plugin" on Windows is somewhere around 15k and it should be in a similar
range for the Unix version.

> But this might be the time to bite the bullet and go for just
> running Squeak as a helper application.

You could always do that - the plugin is an additional service.

> Especially now that Disney won't provide funding any more?

And how would that relate?! ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas