[veriSign? No <Embed>]

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Fri Aug 24 03:33:22 UTC 2001

> Microsoft did remove <embed> support, so the Squeak-Plugin does not work:
> The only adult reaction to that from the Squeak-plugin-society should be
> something like:
>> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/tutorials/activex.html

Please note that Andreas has talked about this issue.  I believe that he
does plan to author an ActiveX plug-in.  He has asked if other people would
like to help author a generic ActiveX plug-in to wrapper Netscape-style
plug-ins.  I posted information to the relevant Microsoft newsgroups, and
recently forwarded to him a message from someone independently expressing
similar interests.

I cannot speak for anyone at SqC, but my guess is that it goes something
like this: there are only so many development resources.  They are committed
to multiple projects.  Things have priorities.  Right now, most of us would
probably like to see Andreas (a) working on getting the 3.1 VM stable, (b)
integrating J3 into the mainstream build, and (c) collaborating with Tim to
get the results into VMMaker.  And, if you are following the other
discussions, there are major new initiatives to support packages/modules in
Squeak.  So I can understand if the ActiveX object isn't his highest
priority.  The fact that Squeak no longer works with new versions of IE will
force an "NMI onto the bus" in the not too distant future, but right now
there just aren't that many affected users.

Of course, anyone who likes writing ActiveX objects is free to jump in here.

	--- Noel