Adding a word to Squeak's object header

Rob Withers rwithers12 at mediaone.net
Fri Aug 24 13:34:16 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Göran Hultgren" <gohu at rocketmail.com>

> Hi guys!

Hi Göran!

> --- Rob Withers <rwithers12 at mediaone.net> wrote:
> > Are you trying to pull a hat trick for the month, Stephen?  :)   So far
we
> > have a Self implementation [or at least the environment and meta-level
> > support - how is the Scanner/Parser contribution coming?], a very nice,
> > fully functional transaction system, and now you are adding a word to
every
> > object header.  Would you care to elaborate?  Pray tell what's knocking
> > about.  Mind you, I do like surprises too.
>
> Well, let me guess - could the extra word have something to do with
creating OIDs and/or
> dirtymarking?

I don't know.  I suspect it is a space pointer.  I am WAY over my head at
this point in the discussions!

> Of course you have already told me something about what you are up to...
:-)

Let's see if I can deliver something, this weekend.  I got the fridge
stocked but my chair lost a bolt, so it wobbles.  I'm hoping to get to hack
attack mode this evening.  My paltry contributions pale in comparison to the
other code floating around...like ModSqueak for instance.  They probably
have unload working well, as well as some interesting tools to code without
installing the code.  That's powerful.

> Compliments to very good work!

awe shucks - thank you. :)  I'm quite astonished that my ideas made sense to
anyone;  they found it useful!   And let's be honest,  there's nothing new
in what I was saying.  Now if my enthusiasm helped motivate someone to do
the work for me...well I'll take credit for that!  ;-)

cheers,
- Rob