getting other morphs in the Objects Morph thingy

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sat Aug 25 02:44:02 UTC 2001

John,

I think a perusal of the comment in the preamble of the change set which introduced the objects tool would give useful pointers.

=====
"Change Set:		objectsTool-sw
Date:			12 August 2001
Author:			Scott Wallace

Introduces an 'Objects' tool that provides a graphical alternative to the 'new morph' menu.

You can bring up an Objects tool from the World menu, and there is a desktop-keyboard shortcut, cmd-o.

If you define a Morph subclass and you want it to appear in Objects,, you must implement (a) and may optionally also implement (b) and/or (c)

(a)  Implement #descriptionForPartsBin on the class side.  Look at implementors of #descriptionForPartsBin to find out the pattern.  The description provides a name, category-list, and balloon help for use in the Objects tool.

(b)  Optionally reimplement #initializeToStandAlone on the instance side.  If a straight call to #initialize will give the result you want, you need not do this.  Consult implementors of #initializeToStandAlone.

(c)  If you wish this class to contribute more things to Objects than just its own 'stand-alone instance', reimplement #supplementaryPartsDescriptions; again, browse implementors of that to see the pattern.

Traditionalists who like to use the historic 'new morph' menu can restore it to its classic form by setting the preference 'classicNewMorphMenu' to true"
=====

Cheers,
Bob