[Squeak Installer] Progress Report

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at home.com
Sat Aug 25 04:17:54 UTC 2001

Hi List,

    There is some progress. Not much though, merely 11KB. The codes were
mainly stolen from the existing InterpreterPlugin and PlatformPlugin.

    What it does is looking around for a Squeak image, if not found it will
bring up a file open dialog box so that the user can pick up an image
somewhere on the local file system. It then loads the image, read some
saved information, then initialised the ObjectMemory,
CompilerHooks...prepare the scene for interpret().

    This new plugin, for now, is named 'ModManPlugin' (Module Manager). Of
course this is only a place holder for the true Module Manager. I hope at
some stage, with help from the list, this plugin will be able to look for,
instead of a pre-built image, the modules (Smalltalk source files) whether
on the local file system or on the internet (via http/ftp ), pass them to
the compiler, get back the result from the compiler, building up an image
(?) in memory......prepare the scene for interpret().

    Please find attached the file 'ObjectMemoryStartup.zip' to see what was
stolen from where. Beware, it's pretty dirty with '#if  1' and '#if     0'
and other commented out things.

    If you are curious to see if it really works or you want to help beating
it to death (in the process of bug hunting ;-), please email me. I will send
you Squeak.exe and 33 plugins, excluding SqueakFFIPrims.dll and
Mpeg3Plugin.dll, you should get these from the official distribution
(they have been external all time).

    If you have any external plugin of your own, you are encouraged to try
them with MobVM. I would like to hear your comments. it should be fully
compatible with Squeak-D3D (625,644 bytes dated May-17-2001).

    The file MobVM.zip is 328KB. I am sorry, it's for Win32 only (tested
on Win2K Pro, somewhat tested on Win2KAS and WinME. It should just work on
YourWin ;-)

    Cheers,

    PhiHo

P.S: Please ensure that you do not have the official VM and MobVM in the
same directory. This should do no harm to MobVM but the official VM will
just display a black screen because it found the external plugins (belonging
to MobVM, requiring a higher minor version for the interpreter) and cannot
use it (because of the version). The official VM should fall back to the
internal plugins and proceed as if there were no (useless) external plugins.
Andreas, please consider this as a bug report ;-)