[ENH]WorldTimeMorph (should now find your time zone!)

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sat Aug 25 13:10:27 UTC 2001

John Hinsley wrote:

> Karl Ramberg wrote:
> >

> > Do you ever wonder what time it is in Australia when you
> > are in Sweden. Here is a primitive solution to that problem.
> > File in this change set. It will download a image of the world,
> > display it as a morph with vertical lines approximately at
> > every time zone and display the hour at each zone.
>
> Really cool, Karl!
Thanks:-)
> But I wondered why you got the time and the map (incidentally, it's a
> *much* better map than the one my system uses) over the net, rather than
> use something like Time (which seems to use the system clock) -- which
> is what stuff like kworldwatch and the Windows equivalent (can't
> remember what it's called) use?
The map was kind of big and I did not want to send out a big change set...
It could be stored locally or even in the image for that matter.
The time over the net thing was because there is to my knowledge
no way for Squeak to tell which time zone you are in. Therefor
I got the gmt from the Squeak site and compared to the local
time in Squeak to find the time zone.
It can also be hard coded...
I'll hack up a change set which do what you want :-)

Karl