[Modules] finding the little buggers

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sat Aug 25 13:19:47 UTC 2001

In effect, what you want is CPAN, or CTAN (well, you probably want more but
that concept is practical and works :-)). Especially CPAN (the Comprehensive
Perl Archive Network) could (should) be a source of inspiration, if only to
combat the idea that we're a bunch of NIH syndrome sufferers.

For people who don't know CPAN, I can type a single command line and (possibly
after asking some initial questions, like geographical location) the software
will fetch packages, dependencies, build and install everything (not just Perl
code, but related files as well). There's a central CPAN site where developers
can obtain their own spot to publish packages, and - I think - there's a team
of volunteers and scripts that indexes stuff so you can browse and search.

CPAN is, IMO, the single biggest reason that Perl is still more popular than
Python. And from what I've heard about SCAN, it is heavily inspired from it
(does it support mirroring?), so it's probably a good place to start.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Building software is like quantum mechanics: you can predict what it