Newbie question - watching variables

Hans-Martin Mosner hm.mosner at cityweb.de
Sat Aug 25 05:16:22 UTC 2001

> Kyle Bygott wrote:
>
> Is there some way to set a watch on a variable such that when
> something attempts to change the variable it halts and lets you see
> whats going on?  I've got something changing a variable somewhere in
> my code but can't track it down for the life of me.  Any features like
> this would help immensely.  Thanks,
>     Kyle Bygott

I intend to do that with my "enhanced debugger" stuff when I've decided
upon a way of doing breakpoints. My plan is to have the following things:
1. breakpoints which can be set and removed without changing context state
2. conditional breakpoints and iteration checks (just like in VA)
3. variable assignment breakpoints for inst vars, temps and globals

I have rough ideas on how to do this, but the first item is somewhat
complicated and requires enough uninterrupted thinking time, which I
don't have at the moment :-(
Perhaps I should do simple things first and defer the first item...

Cheers,
Hans-Martin